Friday, January 06, 2006

1940’s Double Feature!

And believe me, the only thing these two movies have in common is the decade in which they were released.

I was home sick today, under doctor’s orders not to do anything, so I took the opportunity to watch some movies. My first pick was Casablanca. I’d seen it a number of times before, and so have you, so I’m not going to bother to summarize the plot. Besides, if you haven’t seen it, go out, buy it on DVD, and watch it. Don’t bother renting it, it’s too good not to watch more than once.

This time, I watched it with Roger Ebert’s commentary on (rewatching some of my favorite scenes with the movie audio), and I learned a few things. The thing that probably sticks with me most is that very few of the actors were born in America. Most had fled Europe after Hitler came to power. Look at the IMDB bio of S.Z. “Cuddles” Sakall, who played Carl, the Maitre’D at Rick’s. German movies from 1917 to 1937, then a three-year gap, then American movies from 1940 onward. The extensively European cast gives the movie an extra stamp of authenticity.

Another thing I learned (and this wasn’t in the commentary) is that Claude Rains looks a lot like one of our ferrets, The Dude.

Later on, Kathy and I sat down to watch The Devil Bat, a 1941 horror movie in which Bela Lugosi plays a kindly doctor who secretly has been enlarging bats to enormous proportions, and training them to attack whoever wears a special shaving lotion he’s prepared. The great fun of the movie is watching him jump through hoops to get people to splash a bit of it on. Well, that and the giant rubber bat. There are no giant rubber bats in Casablanca. You’re looking for giant rubber bats, only Lugosi’s got you covered.

Everything else, though, I’d go with Bogart.

Rob

5 comments:

Greg! said...

What's with the "giant rubber bat" link going to a pic of Jeff Bridges?

Rob S. said...

Look again; it ain't the Dude.

Anonymous said...

It's Val Kilmer, isn't it? Even so, I don't get the giant rubber bat reference because I didn't see "Batman Forever". Thankfully

--Christian

Greg! said...

Yikes. Kilmer's gotten jowly.


Still, there is some strange resemblance...

Ah, it was probably a lingering aftereffect of looking at Claude "The Dude" Rains earlier. Or maybe I'm just losing it. Yeah, that's probably it.

Rob S. said...

I haven't seen it either -- well, okay, parts of it. I borrowed the DVD from the library a few years ago, but it got so bad so quickly that I had to turn it off. I resolved to just watch the chapters Uma Thurman was in (because she's dreamy), but I couldn't even bring myself to do that.

But if you've seen the costume, you get the reference. Nothing deeper'n that.