Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Wednesdays Just Got a Little More Special

It's Wednesday! New Comic Day! Even better than that, today is the first day of DC's Wednesday Comics.

Wednesday Comics is a 16-page comics anthology in which top creators (we're talking Gaiman, Kubert, Baker, Azzarello, Bermejo, Busiek, Allred, Garcia-Lopez and more*) bring us one huge page of comics a week. The book unfolds not once, but twice, providing huge pages of art for each story to sprawl over. It's a very different reading experience than a regular comic.

The format is supposed to evoke the old Sunday comics pages. Not the ones I read when I was a kid, with three or four strips on each page, but the ones around when my dad was a kid -- full page color installments of full-color adventure strips, each one ending in a cliffhanger, selling next Sunday's paper.

And man, is it fun. I haven't read them all yet, but those I've read (yes, I've skipped around) assure me that every page is a new delight. This is good, good stuff.


So take a gander (ha!) at Kyle Baker's Hawkman. And then think about heading to your local comic shop and picking up the first issue of Wednesday Comics... and watch the stories unfold.

Rob
*I kept on adding names. I couldn't stop!

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Mine is in the other room. Between that and Jeff Lemire's "The Nobody", this was a geek-gasm day for me. I haven't read either yet, but still--guaranteed goodness.

Travis said...

This is one I am really interested in, but have decided to tradewait it. I just couldn't justify it in my budget. A weekly 4 dollar comic just isn't doable for me. That is something I can definitely wait for.

Travis said...

Man, could my sentences above have been any more clipped and succinct? It looks like I was typing out someone's telegram instead of actually writing out my own thoughts.