Monday, July 31, 2006

Change

You know how after a good vacation, you really don't feel like going back to your job?

Well, that's how things are working out for me. I was just back to working at the magazine for two days when I was offered the managing editor position at one of our sister magazines.

I didn't do a lot of hemming and hawing. The new job gives me more responsibility and a title to match. It's a good opportunity.

And one more thing: For the first time in my life, I'm leaving one job for another in the same industry. Yes, I've been editing for a while, but a newspaper is not a magazine, which is most certainly not a children's story in an unconventional format. Could my career be getting some sort of continuity at last?

Wouldn't that be sumthin'?

Rob

10 comments:

Sharon GR said...

What is this "career" thing of which you speak?

Congrats. That's great!

Jeri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christian Ready said...

Congratulations, my friend! You deserve to be moving upwards as well as onwards. Well done!

(Yep, got me one of them blogger accounts. Might try one of these web internets one of these days...)

Jeri said...

Yaaaay, Rob! "Managing editor" sounds very important (and slightly hellish, but in a good way, like something Aaron Sorkin would make a TV series out of). I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job.

Chris A. said...

Congratulations, dude. Lou Grant better watch his back!

Rob S. said...

Thanks, guys! (And congratulations on the web internets, Christian. I 'spect it was the handy tube packaging that finally enticed ya, am I right?)

bastard central said...

i totally told slaton that you drank on the job and he hired you anyway. i should have told him about your massive coke problem

JtB

Rob S. said...

If that machine would take my goddamn quarters, I wouldn't have a coke problem!

Greg! said...

X-tra cool. Congrats!

So -- details! What's the sister pub? Do you get a corner office? A hot secretary? Can you take me on a business lunch and charge Time/Warner?

Rob S. said...

Hmm... In general, I decided I wouldn't post about work on my blog, and other than non-business related stuff that coincidentally happens at work, I think I've pretty much done that. And somewhere along the line, I decided I wouldn't even mention the name of the magazine, particularly since that's my name in the url, and SOME form of anonymity behooves a blogger. So...

I'll email ya.