Sunday, September 30, 2007

Who Needs Sleep?

Every now and then I check out Netflix's "watch instantly" pages to see what sorts of videos I can watch streaming on my computer. And tonight...I found Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot.
I watched this show all the time as a kid. It, Ultraman and Space Giants were always good for giant rubber monster fun. I remember once when I was a kid (from the house we were living in, I couldn't have been more than 7), the sound went out on our TV while I was watching Ultraman. (For those who don't know these shows, all were produced in Japan and then dubbed into English). I complained (okay, whined) to my mom about the sound, and she said, like it was the most reasonable thing in the world, "Read their lips."

So I sat there, trying to process whatever I could see, little realizing that I was trying something doubly impossible. Wicked sense of humor, my mom has.

Anyway, I can watch Johnny Sokko on the computer now. I've only watched the first episode so far ("Dracalon, the Great Sea Monster"), but I can see 25 more late nights in my future. I'm especially looking forward to "Opticon Must Be Destroyed" (that giant flying eyeball gave me nightmares) and "The Monstrous Flying Jawbone," because, well...monstrous flying jawbone, y'know?

Rob

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! The thing I loved about Johnny Sokko was all the moves the Robot had to make to activate one of it's attacks. It's a good thing those monsters were slow.

Rob S. said...

Yeah, he pretty much had to do the Robot Macarena to lay down any sort of smack.

Greg! said...

All Giant Robot was doing was letting those monsters know they were being served.

Oh, yeah. They been served.