Monday, August 22, 2005

Paging Dr. Righteous

Armed, camoed soldiers busted up a rave in Utah last Saturday night. Granted, I don't know the whole story. The official version is here. The Sploid version tells a different tale, with links to testimonials from a bunch of the people at the rave. But it's undeniable that this video is disturbing to watch. Particularly when we see them wrestling this girl to the ground.

The thing that chills me the most, honestly, is hearing the soldier say "put the camera down." If you're in the right, you're not afraid of the light.

Just wanted to get this up while it's fresh; my vacation wrapup can wait.

UPDATE: Here's another piece that relies on more firsthand accounts. And here's the sheriff's statement.

Rob

3 comments:

Sluggo said...

Yoiks. What the hell was that all about? Maybe they were in violation of an ordinance, but Jebus, why send in the Marines? So to speak. Let us know what happens, okay?

Rob S. said...

Thanks, Mark. I was hoping you’d weigh in, seeing as how you know more about military (or even quasi-military) operations than I do.

Whenever armed government forces come up against unarmed people, whether they be partying or protesting or whatever, my sympathies will initially be with the kids. Just the way I’m wired – I’m more concerned with freedom than authority. I’m always dubious of claims of resisting arrest; if the action is unjustified, I can’t really fault people for resisting it. And it seems like a blanket code to justify all sorts of treatment, no matter the degree of resistance. Force should be appropriate to the situation.

At the same time, it’s best for all concerned if everyone stays safe. I certainly don’t want any officers hurt. If it takes an overwhelming presence to ensure everyone’s safety, so be it. It’s the Powell Doctrine in microcosm. We’ve ignored it in Iraq at our peril.

The video doesn’t prove abuses -- it just scares the crap out of me. I’ve been looking online for more photos and video, but so far have come up empty.

I certainly agree with you that there’s more to this story. There have been a few promises of lawsuits. I’ll be interested to see if any of them has a case.

Rob

Rob S. said...

I see your point, certainly; there are plenty of tough calls to make, and most of the time the right ones are made. I'm just not comfortable dismissing lawsuits, particularly police prutality suits, as nonsense. Citizens need a legal recourse against the government. Whether these potential suits are founded or not remains to be seen.