Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Sometimes, on message boards...

I'm tempted to argue with people. Particularly on the Newsarama boards, which I try to avoid, but am sometimes drawn to like a moth on crack to an LED crackpipe. I start to fire off a scathing rebuttal about something or other, and then, if I have my wits about me, I pause.

Take a deep breath.

And look at the other user's profile.

Usually, I find that the idiot I wanted to put a rhetorical hurtin' on is just a kid. Twenty-three* seems to be the age of most folks that rile me. And a hard-headed 23-year-old is just not worth arguing with. Talk about a waste of energy.

It's hard to remember, in the age of avatars and internet handles, that not everyone is in your peer group. And even more important than remembering that you don't have all the answers, is this: Even when you do, there's no reason you have to share 'em with halfwits.

Rob
(Making grudging peace with the fact that at my age, a 23-year-old is now "just a kid.")

2 comments:

Travis said...

Yeah that is why I try to avoid most message board. They do trap you like that, and most of them are such time wastes as well

Rob S. said...

Yep -- I usually stick to making comments in the Comics Cave -- most other places, I just don't know who I'm talking to... and if I give it a little thought, I usually can't even figure out why.