Thursday, March 22, 2007

Never Ever Gonna Quit

So the other day, I was listening to a deejay spin a lot of records at a family party. After a TON of Michael McDonald (no idea what was up with that, but he loved those McDonald sings Motown albums) he played a little Barry White. And I came to realize that I'd never really listened closely to the lyrics of "Never Gonna Give You Up" before. Here's the chorus:

"I never, never gonna give you up

I'm never, ever gonna stop
Stop the way I feel about you
Girl I just can't live without you"

Which is all well and good. And sexy, which is the main thing. But then we get to...

"I'm never ever gonna quit
'Cause quitin' just ain't my schtick"

Hold on--schtick? Schtick? I thought I heard it wrong, but I checked it later with my wife, and then online. He goes from Barry White, king of sexy, all of a sudden to Shecky Greene, Old Jewish Comedian. And it works, is the craziest thing. Barry sells it, and he sells it sexy. But I had to wonder: Who the hell had the stones to ask Barry White to sing "schtick"?

A quick look at allmusic.com reveals "Never Gonna Give You Up" (the relevant version, that is) was written by... none other than Barry White himself.

Who else could get him to say "schtick"? No one else would dare ask.

So therefore...

Barry White... you're the first inductee into the...

Heroes of Vocabulary!

Yes, every now and then, if I find an unusual word in a song lyric that stands out like a sore thumb but works anyway, the lyricist will be inducted into this august group. I'm looking at you, Rick Springfield.

So congratulations, Barry. You've earned it...because quittin' ain't your schtick.

Rob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard and thought same thing listening to this song driving the other day, so I Googled lyrics to make sure, and came upon this post. Would have loved to have been there when he/they were penning that song.