Thursday, July 10, 2008

"I don't like playing the race card, but..."

I shouldn't be shocked by this, I really shouldn't. But I was flabbergasted this morning at what Staten Island resident Lorraine Marino said when interviewed by WNYC on the possibility of her district going Democratic on Barack Obama's coattails. Here's what she said.

I'm just afraid of the feeling, the rise of power that would happen in the more impoverished communities. I mean, you see what happens when there's some sort of crazy fallout in Madison Square Garden against boxers. You know what I mean? I just don't want - I don't like playing the race card but I don't want them to feel more empowered than they're beginning to feel. (laughs) If you want me to be honest.
(You can listen here... it's at 3:17 of the story. Transcript here.)



That word you're looking for, Ms. Marino? It's not "empowered." It's "uppity."

Sheesh.

Rob

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have family members who have espoused the same ideas. It just baffles me.

Ami Angelwings said...

O_O

"BEWARE OF TEH SCARY NON WHITE PPLZ THEY'RE OUT TO GET UUUUUUU"

*blinks*

*gapes*