Friday, November 05, 2004

Coo-roo-coo-ooo

Okay, enough with Canada.

I get it already.

Liberal friends have sent me a number of maps showing a merged blue-state U.S. with Canada, a fantasy that it’s kind of nice to indulge for a moment or two. (My favorite of the maps labeled the remaining red-state America as “Jesusland.”) On the other hand, a conservative friend has been telling me about the number of hits on Canada’s immigration web page.

To the former, I have to say if you’re going, you’ll need a parka. Because Canada ain’t coming here. But you’d do us all more good if you moved to Ohio or Florida instead. To the latter: You’re not getting rid of us that easily. To my wife, I say: We just bought this house! And we’ll never be able to sell it until we finish redoing the guest room anyway, so we’re pretty much stuck here until 2006. (That’s a joke, honey. Put down the scissors and my early Alan Moore Swamp Thing.)

And sure, I know the Canada thing is just a joke, a way of letting off steam. The people actually thinking about moving to Canada are few and far between, and they were probably already thinking about it before. But I think something very important gets lost in the shuffle when we talk like this.

This country is great. We have so much to be proud of, and so much to be thankful for, in both the red states and the blue. I like to see off-Broadway shows, but I want to sit in a sweltering Preservation Hall and hear kickass Dixieland jazz too. I’ll bodysurf on the Jersey shore, but I’ve rarely known such peace as I did floating in the still waters of the Gulf of Mexico. I want bagels and southern barbecue. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Mann’s Chinese Theater belong in the same country.

Forty-five percent of Virginians voted for Kerry. Forty-eight percent of Nevada did. These people don’t deserve the scorn liberals have been throwing at the red states, and they don’t deserve to be abandoned, either. More Texans voted for Kerry than did Michiganders, but Michigan is blue and Texas is red, and we’re gonna break it down that way? Nonsense. There’s no way on earth we should give up the South by Southwest Music Festival.

Look, this Canada talk is silly. I’ve tried lasagna in Quebec City. It’s inedible. I love the place, but the food? Not so much. Trust me, Bush or no Bush, you would not vote for this lasagna.

And neither would you vote to secede, when it comes right down to it.

Rob

7 comments:

Rob S. said...

Preciselimundo.

Rob said...

I know I sent the map...but I was just having some fun. You know I could never leave this country. Love it here WAY too much. Probably never leave Jersey either - NYC and Philly just a hop skip and a jump away - you just can't beat it....

--*Rob

Jeri said...

A dissenting voice about the food in Canada: okay, maybe the eastern four-fifths of the country has the taste buds of, well, the English. But go to Vancouver and you'll never want to stop eating. It has the highest number of restaurants per capita of any city in the WORLD! In BC they have something called a Nanaimo Bar (pron. Nuh-NYE-Mo), which is a mind-blowing, chocolately dessert that makes cannoli taste like Necco wafers. I had the best bagel of my life on Granville Island, the hip-happenin' marketplace. A great mix of ethnic populations provides more culinary variety than you can get anywhere outside of NYC.

And all with a great view (when it's not raining). It never gets cold there. It's the fourth largest filmmaking city in the world (or possibly North America--I'm not sure how Bombay stacks up).

It will also be my new home in the unlikely event they ever pass that gay marriage ban constitutional amendment (FWIW, I'm a straight married woman who feels that economic hardship and wet towels left on the bed are a much greater threat to marriage). I can't pledge allegiance to bigotry encoded in that sacred document. I just can't. I'm a human being first.

If I didn't love my country, it wouldn't hurt so much to see it lurch away from its ideals of liberty and justice for all. It's not too late to take it back, not by a long shot. Rob's right--if we don't want other countries to tar the US with the same feather, let's not do the same to the "red states."

Rob S. said...

I have to agree -- the food in Vancouver is much better than the food in Quebec. And I could have just eaten in some crappy restaurants, for all I know. But I know that the vacation got a lot better (and much cheaper) when we just started bringing beer, wine, cheese, sausages, baguettes and snacks back to our room and feasting on them before heading out for the night.

I loved visiting Quebec City, by the way. The Winter Carnival was a blast. But that lasagna haunts me to this day.

Rob

Greg! said...

Although, on the basis of my social life (or utter lack thereof) the question of gay marriage remains for me as much an abstract as it is for Jeri, I kinda agree.
The dumbos put their glib puppets into the White House and, yeah, I get pissed off and despondent about the future of my country. The minute they start fuckin' with the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, I get really pissed off. I mean REALLY pissed off. Which means I either engage in an ugly by-any-means-necessary fight, or I throw my hands up and leave.
If I leave, it's a toss-up between Canada and England.
Say -- now that he'd dead, what's the story with Marlon Brando's island? Is it up for sale? We caould all pitch in...

Rob S. said...

But aren't our rights WORTH an "ugly, by-any-means-necessary fight"? I don't want it to come to that, but you cannot win if you do not play, y'know?

I think the states should decide -- and then wait for a while. See what the influx of affluent, stable gay couples does to the tax bases of the states that allow it, and their job growth -- and then, when there's money on the line, phony "morals" or no, the other states will follow suit.

Another thing -- I think this is the religious right's last gasp. They've got 10 or 20 more years -- a long time in our lifetimes, to be sure, but not in the life of the country -- to throw their weight around. Check out this map, which shows the voting patterns (and electoral outcomes) of adults aged 18-29. Kerry won that bloc substantially -- 375 to 163, electorally. And these people will grow older and vote, and older people will grow older, and die.

That's not to say their views won't change over time -- but those changes will mostly involve the issues confronting them as they grow older -- parenthood, home ownership, building a business, etc. None of those changes will likely affect who they consider deserves rights and who doesn't. In my opinion, anyway.

Rob S

P.S. Here's the url for the map in case my link didn't work: http://www.bopnews.com/archives/002315.html#2315

Rob S. said...

But it worked! Sweet!