Sunday, May 14, 2006

Registered Sense Offenders

I can't even begin to say how angry this makes me.Especially the mom's self-satisfied attitude at the end. He was a little rude (in an effort NOT to be!) so he deserves to be run out of town? In what universe does that make sense? He should check that book on etiquette outof the library and feed it to her.

And the cops? "Your best bet is to leave the area?" Thanks for protecting the innocent, assholes. Someone needs suing.

Rob

UPDATE: The link above is dead (though I’ll try to find the original story again when I get home tonight), but here’s a link to the Eric Haskett story on Sploid which led me there. Sadly, I don’t think it has the quote from his girlfriend’s mom, blaming it all on him for not coming to the door and dozing off in front of her. (Oops... On second look, it's there after all.)

5 comments:

Sharon GR said...

That just plain sucks.

Jeri said...

Can you fix the link? It seems to be expired, and you've got me intrigued.

Chris A. said...

The school-age daughter of one of my co-workers was recently invited into the car of a strange man (she declined), so I don't want to make an argument against neighborhood vigilance...

... but "noticed him sleeping"? Since when has a sleeping person posed a threat to the community? If he's inside his vehicle -- and he's not snoring, farting or stealing your share of the covers -- what is it your business, lady?

Jeri said...

Dude, that is a great premise for a novel, some kind of absurd social satire thing. Ideally he'd also share a name with someone on the terrorist watch list.

Sorry, fictionalization is my defense response against the injustices of society. But you have to admit, it has some funny elements. The guy works in a joke shop, fer cryin' out loud!

Rob S. said...

Hmm... that merits further thought...