Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Spontaneous Combustion Begins in Two Days

Just a quick note about my upcoming weekend. I’m about to try a fun exercise at Theatresource. It’s called Spontaneous Combustion, and my friend Jen Thatcher turned me on to it. Here’s the deal.

Friday night, I’ll pair up with two actors. I’ll be given an opening line and a “cultural reference.” (I’m a little unclear on what this is. If I’m given “Pulp Fiction,” can I have the two actors dance like John and Uma?) From there, I go home and write my shriveled little heart out on Friday night.

Saturday, the actors get my script and rehearse.

Sunday, we all have a tech day. Then on Sunday night, it’s showtime! There are two more shows on Monday and Tuesday.

Now, from what Jen told me, every writer gets the same first line and cultural reference. Under these parameters, however, the five-minute plays go in wildly different directions. I’m really psyched about it, and can’t wait to see what comes out of my head – and then to see it acted out onstage is a crazy good feeling I haven’t had in years.

So, if you’re in the New York area and want to see what would pretty much have to be the most recent thing I’ve written (unless I sneak a page or two of Dash Dixon in during rehearsals), come on down to Theatresource. I can’t promise it’ll be good, but I’m sure it’ll be interesting.

Rob

No comments: