Friday, July 29, 2005

Spontaneous Wrap-up

In case you're curious (and hell, even if you're not. Sometimes I feel like I'm writing this so I can know what I was thinking a year ago...no audience required), Spontaneous Combustion went very well. The play I wrote, "Under the Boardwalk," was really well-received, thanks to the two wonderful actors who brought it to its virtual life, Jennifer Moses and Adi Kurtchik. Both of them continued to play and experiment with the roles through the show's three-night run. Adi came out of the dressing room in a completely new costume on Monday night, and a new personality to suit it. (Consequently, she was able to sell the final joke of the piece much better -- her visual alone set up the gag.) Jennifer had a dynamite "hooker sneer" which transformed into an devious smile as she began her sales pitch.

The evening itself was a mixed bag -- which it pretty much has to be, considering its origins. There were serious pieces -- which I think is pretty ballsy to even try, considering the format -- and funny pieces, including one (no, make that two) that were even more gonzo than mine. Which takes a lot of gonzo, believe you me.

Most important, though, was the sense of working together toward something wild and temporary. As much pressure-induced creativity as results from writing, acting and staging a play that didn't exist at all 48 hours before curtain, is the same amout of freedom in knowing that whatever you do, even if you screw up colossally, it'll all be gone by Wednesday.

But we didn't. We did well, and I'm proud.

Rob

1 comment:

Jeri said...

Congratulations! You should be proud. That sounds like such a cool project. I wish I could have seen it. And I'm sure the excellence had its roots in your writing. It's hard for an actor to shine when they have crap lines to say. (Compare Natalie Portman in Garden State vs. Star Wars Eps 1-3.)