Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Absence

I haven’t written anything for a little while. Some of it’s been the standard too-busy-to-blog excuse, but most is that I learned something this weekend that I really wanted to process before writing about, and I didn’t want to write about anything else until I did.

My brother-in-law, Brian, has been recalled to the National Guard. He’s been promoted to captain and is leaving for training in a few weeks, and then plans call from him to go out to California for more training for about six months. After that, he’ll be sent overseas.

The news knocked me flat. I can only imagine what he’s going through. What my sister Sally will be going through, and what their sons will be going through once they find out.

Brian left the National Guard eight or nine years ago. He'd never formally resigned his commission because he enjoyed his service, and planned to return to it when he was in his fifties, once the kids were grown. I had heard that a lot of Guard units were going to Iraq, and knew that some people who had left were being recalled. I asked him about this a while ago, and he said something like, “I’ve been out for like eight years. They’d have to be really desperate to call me.”

Aside from the fact that he’s my sister’s husband and my nephews’ father, the Guard couldn’t have made a better choice. Brian’s a sharp guy who can understand and solve problems quickly. He’s a natural leader, and I know he’ll have the people in his unit performing at their absolute best. But I’m having a hard time getting over the fact that he’s my sister’s husband and my nephews’ father and should be home with them.

I have to reevaluate my thinking about the war, and about the soldiers’ job in it. I know in my bones that we were deceived into this war, and that if the President had been honest with us about the expected costs up front, we wouldn’t be there. I have a lot of issues with the President, but the war encapsulates all of them. I think it was a wrongheaded decision, handled incompetently at the top levels. (Like Katrina, like the plan to destroy Social Security, like so many other things.)

That’s not what I’m thinking of now. I’m thinking of the soldiers on the ground, doing their level best to keep everyone safe. Of maintaining security while schools are built and votes are counted. And of presenting, one-on-one, the decent face of America. I know Brian will excel, and I hope the presence of him and others like him will foster goodwill there. We need more than we have now.

I can’t help worrying. I’ve seen the headlines, and I know the chilling landmark we passed yesterday. And I know that the future is uncertain for us all, no matter where we are when we think we’re safe, or healthy, or secure. Anything can happen anywhere. In that light, Iraq is no different from where I grew up, or where I work now. There are no guarantees.

But if I had only one guarantee to give out, I’d give it to him. To keep him safe, and return him home the same man that I’ve always been so glad to have as my brother.

Rob

9 comments:

Sharon GR said...

Wow.

I've been looking at the screen for a while now, and I still can't come up with anything more than, wow.

I hope he comes home safe, and soon.

Rob S. said...

Thanks, Sharon. Me too.

Anonymous said...

I heard about this from Adrian and wrote to Sally. My prayers are for all of you. Whie I protested Vietnam (yes, I'm THAT old), I never disrespected the soldiers. Most of them had no idea why they were there (draft, you know), and did not deserve the animus directed at them. I feel the same way about this war. Adrian said Brian might be away for 54 months. I hope I have that wrong. There's no good reason for this war, just a lot of lies.

Cecilia

Rob S. said...

I think the 54 months figure is a miscommunication somewhere along the line. I had heard the number in days, 540-something, IIRC, which is about a year and a half -- which is probably where the confusion sets in.

Andrew said...

Rob,

I don't know what to do except join everyone else in hoping and praying he comes home safely. I do know you have a strong family, and I know you will all will pull together to help with Sally and Brain make it through this.

I'll also say this to you: don't reevaluate how you think about this war. Everything you said about the President's lying incompetence is true and should never be forgotten. Everthing you said about the soldiers doing their best to keep everyone safe is also true and should never be forgotten.

Rob S. said...

I phrased that part poorly, Andrew. My feelings about the war itself won't change. Except in this respect: When you don't know anyone over there, it's easy to think of the men and women over there not so much as soldiers but as victims, caught up in something over which they have no control. It's especially tempting to think that way when the war they've been sent to is based on the deceit of our current government and the complacency of our press. Maybe this is a widely shared sentiment, or maybe it's just one I've found myself falling into from time to time. But it's this attitude--the victimization of soldiers--that needs adjusting on my part. Brian's not a victim; he'll be in a tough, dangerous position, but it's one where he can hopefully effect positve change. But I in no way think that this is a just or wise war, and hope we're out of the region as soon as possible.

Chris A. said...

I join the crowd in sending my support to your family. The military is lucky to have Brian, as well as the many others like him who are doing their best. I wish him (and them) a safe journey there and back.

Greg! said...

Rob --

I'm a little stunned. My heart goes out to Sally, Brian and the kids. Please let them know they'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Yes, for all of us who know you and know Brian this will certainly shift perspective on the experience of those serving over there and, obviously, the experieces of their loved ones.

Right now, this only makes the behavior of our government more immediately shameful in my eyes. Brian has, as you said, been inactive for the better half of a decade. He is married, with young children. He has a career. Brian has a life and this is going to disrupt it utterly. It's going to disrupt the lives of everyone in his life. If this doesn't exemplify the fact of a "backdoor draft" I don't know what would.

My respect and empathy for everyone over there and everyone who has someone over there have just deepened and become more immediate. In a sense I feel that they all are victims of this administration's gross misrule.

Rob S. said...

Thanks, all of you, for your thoughts. And I know they do train them well, Mark -- that's why, i belive, Brian will be spending six months in California before being shipped out. Either that or he's going to be a featured player in Clerks 2 and hasn't told anyone.