Saturday, October 29, 2005

Through With Carrots

I'm an idiot.

Two weeks ago, while playing D&D, I gobbled my way through a 2-pound bag of carrots. I can't vouch for every single carrot in the bag, but I know I ate the majority of them. With all that fiber, I had some gastrointestinal issues that night and the next day...but in the end, no one got hurt, and they kept me from eating the Doritos, which is their job. (Keeping me away from other orange food.)

So I tried it again this week. Another two-pound-bag of baby carrots, another D&D game. I think, if anything, I ate even less than I did the week before.

This time -- not so good. I tossed and turned all night, bloated and feverish, trying to focus my dreams and my waking brain, which seemed to be betraying me. All was a blur, as I burped my way through the night. My burps smelled a bit like carrots, but that seemed a little crazy to me. Just another trick of my fevered brain.

Finally -- after taking some Gas-X, sleeping some more, and hoping things would work themselves out, I couldn't take it anymore. I went to the bathroom for one last try. When conventional methods failed, I washed my hands and thought, "maybe I should make myself throw up."

If you're easily grossed out, I'm surprised that you're still with me. But it gets worse.

I stuck my finger down my throat and got nothing. Again, with similar results. One more time, and--hurrk!--success!

A bright orange ball of shredded carrots plopped into the toilet bowl.

These weren't digested, or even nearly so. They looked like they were ready to be combined with cabbage and mayo and made into slaw. They were the healthiest thing I've ever vomited.

I washed the carrot chunks off my hands and tried some more. I got a similar clump, larger this time. Then again, and I started getting to the carrots my stomach had actually done some work on. Still bright orange, but less solid.

After a few minutes of this, I was finished. I flushed the toilet, washed my hands again and brushed my teeth. My stomach muscles hurt, but I felt much better overall.

All, that is, except psychologically.

See, I remember a time when if I was going to throw up after a night out, carrots had nothing to do with it. (Hell, when I was in college I used to down two-pound bags of carrots in a funnel!) And yet here I was, hurling essential vitamins into the abyss. I'm an old, old man.

But I've learned my lesson. No more carrots for me at D&D.

Next week I'm bringing two pounds of grapes.

Rob

7 comments:

Sharon GR said...

Oh, man, Rob.

I'm laughing so hard right now... I have to call the DM and tell him this one.

Andrew said...

Raisons, Rob. Bring a 32oz. can of raisons. Or maybe prunes. Nice and healthy.

Rob S. said...

Somehow I knew that sympathy was too much to ask...

Jeri said...

I was going to make Moroccan Carrot Soup tonight, but now I'm going to rethink it and wait long enough to erase that image from my mind. If I ever can.

May I suggest a very small bag of broccoli next time? Or a boiled turnip?

Rob S. said...

Sorry to ruin your dinner, Jeri. Who knows what veggie I'll overindulge on next?

Chris A. said...

Sharon, I'm can't believe you're laughing! Bulimia is no laughing matter. ;-)

Rob, maybe try apricots next time. This seems like a good "gateway food" between carrots and raisins.

Rob S. said...

I seem to recall learning a lesson about dried apricots sometime back in college. And neither myself nor my gateway was pleased with the results.