Thursday, October 20, 2005

Didn't Wanna Do It

I hated to do it, but I'm finally getting enough of those automated blog posts to be annoying. For a while I seemed to slip under the radar of the spammers. no more. I don't know how many times I've been praised for the information I provide about Technical Writing, and then directed to another site. I've also been directed to a great online blackjack site. I don't get a ton of these by any means, but what bugs me the most about them is that they're not commenting on the current posts -- they're somewhere deep in the archives, and I get an email notification but no clue as to how to find these posts so I can deep-six 'em. So now the word verification system is up. We'll see how long it takes the Secret Posting Agents of Marketing (SPAM) to circumvent my defenses.

Sorry about the extra step, y'all.

Rob

6 comments:

Sharon GR said...

It is what we must do. I put it up a few weeks ago, after one such annoying comment.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunatley, a captcha is a necessary evil these days. Actually, I don't think it's evil at all, but being the accessibility freak that I am, I would much prefer if there was some kind of audio version for blind users, or a way of "clearing up" the captcha for users who have poor enough eyesight that they cannot read the words in the original captcha image.

Unfortunatley, making it toally acessible means making it machine accessible and that rather defeats the purpose.

So, I will now type in my favorite new word "ht*wygr" :)

--Christian

Dave said...

so, ysufna, how do i add one to my blog, not that anyone adds too many comments.

not that i post more than once a month, either. :/

Greg! said...

Yeah, I got a pile of those SPAM comments on a recent post. Pissed me off.
Maybe I should turn on the captcha. Wonder how. Hmmmm...

Rob S. said...

Go to the the Settings section and pick Comments. Then click yes nest to "Turn Word Verification On."

I think it tells you you have to republish your blog to save the changes, so click yes again. And that's it. Presto! Or, should I say Rpljbx!

Jeri said...

I think the word verification, like having the wrong letters in Scrabble, is a great resource for bad science fiction names.

Captain Gessw, to the bridge!