Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Escute

Listen.

I visited Sushi Samba's website earlier tonight, and rediscovered a song I haven't heard in years. (Sushi Samba is a terrific sushi/Brazilian restaurant in NYC, btw.) The restaurant's website features a number of playlists, so I can direct you exactly to the song. First, go to sushisamba.com. Then click on the "select a compilation" option, and choose "Nightlife." Then pick track four, "Ponta de Lanca Africano," by Jorge Ben. It's also called "Umbabarauma," and it's catchy as all-get-out.

Then, as an added treat, check out Breath of Life, a blog-post remeniscence (and an explanation) about the song.

Enjoy.

Rob

2 comments:

Chris A. said...

Excellent call, Rob. I discovered that song on the Beleza Tropical compilation described in the Breath of Life post myself, and it grabbed me on the first listen.

I've got a couple of other compliations from the Luaka Bop label, and they all have their charms. This is (was?) David Byrne's boutique label for getting exposure for his interests; if nothing else, it proves the guy could do more than wear a great (big) suit.

Rob S. said...

I first heard this around 10 years ago--oh no, probably closer to 15 now--on a World Cafe Mardi Gras/Carnival show that I taped off the radio. I couldn't get enough of it.