Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Egg FU

My usual breakfast stop has changed managership (as a lot of immigrant-run businesses do; I think person A goes back to the old country while person B takes the reins here, and then vice-versa -- or should I say Visa versa?) and has decided to raise the price on my egg-white & hot sauce sandwich (at first offering the specious claim that two egg whites cost more than two eggs, and then just flat-out telling me I'm not paying enough). So, I'm pricing egg-white sandwiches, to see if I can get one cheaper than $2. I'll show them... I'll show them all!

Rob

5 comments:

ktbuffy said...

Good luck on that. My usual breakfast used to be egg & cheese on a bagel, and I got it for $2.17. Then the prices went up -- within one week, it jumped to $3.50. Or thereabouts -- I haven't been back with anything like my old frequency since then.

Also, I still have weight to lose, and I shouldn't be eating egg & cheese sandwiches on bagels. But they're SOOOOOO good!

Rob S. said...

Yeah -- I have a bit of hope, but it's not a sure thing by any means. I knew my sandwich was absurdly cheap -- $.150 -- but the new manager really bugs me, so i want to see what my options are.

And yeah -- I miss my daily bacon egg and cheese on a roll. A little bit of heaven on a bun.

Andy said...

Two egg whites DO cost more than two eggs. There is additional labor to removing the yolk. Plus if they are busy the yolk removal is going to slow things down.

At one point the sandwich shop across
the street from my office was charging $.50 extra not to have fried onions on a sandwich because they then need more meat to fill the roll.

That did not last long.

Rob S. said...

Good point. They de-yolk the eggs ahead of time -- they've got a container they pour the whites out of 90 percent of the time. But they have to do that labor sometime.

But yes, I guess I have a massive sense of entitlement about my breakfast. Not gonna stop me from looking elsewhere, though.

You can't stop my hate!

Andy said...

Oh, the de-yolk ahead of time?

Screw them!!!!!!!!!

I would never stop your hate. In fact I now JOIN your hate.

See you on Friday