Sunday, September 04, 2005

On Beyond Rehnquist

A few months ago, when Justice O'Connor retired, I wrote:

I hope Rehnquist retires soon. It's a given that Bush will try send one ultraconservative to the Supreme Court. But it'll be more difficult to send two up at the same time than it would be to get one approved, then another 6 months or a year later.

I know some folks disagreed with me about this (although not in the comments, so I can't remember who it was), saying Bush will nominate ultraconservative after ultraconservative, no matter how many positions are open. They may be right. It looks like we'll have a chance to see, for better or worse. But I think it'll be a little while before the Supreme Court speculation game steals the front page away from Katrina's destruction and the aftermath.

Rob

3 comments:

Rob said...

On the other hand, there has now been speculation that Bush nominated Roberts to the chief position to steer media coverage away from the Katrina flack he's been getting.

--*Rob

Greg! said...

Okay, I'll admit up front that it's possible I'm being genuinely paranoid here. But...

When I heard that Rehnquist had passed I caught myself thinking something along these lines: The Bush administration has decided to try to use the whole Katrina mess to its advantage by using it as a diversion of sorts and has terminated Rehnquist now, while all the media attention and public outrage are focussed on the human tragedy resulting from said administration's incompetence. Yes, I caught myself thinking that they'd killed the Chief Justice of our Supreme Court.

Which is more disturbing -- that I thought that at all or that, days later, it still doesn't seem all that unreasonable?

Rob S. said...

Ah, Greg, I figure if they were going to kill somone it wouldn't have been Rehnquist.

There'd been speculation that Bush would nominate Roberts for Chief since he was originally nominated. He's conservative and he's young, and likely to keep the position into the 2030s. I don't think it's done solely to distract from Katrina -- but any announcement from the White house for a while will certainly have that air about it.