Friday, September 12, 2008

Speechless Today

I don't know what I was looking for today. I didn't want to write about the anniversary. I didn't have anything to say that I hadn't already said, or that others weren't saying. But at the same time, I felt like anything else I could post today would be trivial in comparison.

So I stayed up, and I read for a bit, and I drifted off to sleep on the couch. When I woke up, the TV was switching to The Late Late Show, and Craig Ferguson was explaining that he goes through a similar dilemma. He's a comic and a chat-show host, and while he didn't want to ignore the date, he's also aware that his job is making people smile before they go to bed.

When I watch his show, I'm always reminded that Ferguson is an American. He's a new American--he became a citizen earlier this year--and is obviously proud of it. He begins his monologue every night by saying, "It's a great day for America," moving from there into whatever he wants to talk about. But tonight, he spoke a little about the anniversary, and remembered the victims and heroes of that day. He concluded, "We'll do our show much the same as usual, except that I will say to you what you already know, that this day will never be a great day for America."

And hearing that? Well, I think that's what I was waiting to hear all day.

Rob

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I had a pretty rough day yesterday as well, but with some hope in the end. For some reason, this was the hardest anniversary yet for me, and I'm not sure why.