Tuesday, September 30, 2008

You know what I'd like?

I'd like to find whoever came up with the "Wall Street vs. Main Street" comparison and crack their skull open with a shovel.

It's not so much how it's used in political speeches, where I expect generalizations and glossing-over. But when I hear it in news reports, it drives me north, wall-wise. There's something about reporters referring to "Main Street" like it's an actual place, not an analogous amalgam of a whole lot of different places. Main Street, as the reporters are referring to it, does not exist. Amboy Avenue, Woodbridge Avenue and Saxer Avenue (and yes, even, on occasion, an actual Main Street) are the real deal, where people and businesses are really struggling. But when I hear about this fictional "Main Street," it's like a kick to the face. If we can't even trust our reporters not to live in Fantasyland, how the hell can we get out of this mess?

So, sorry, unknown speechwriter. I know you were just doing your job, and you obviously did it very well. You created something that will stay in our lexicon forever. You are immortal.

Until I get to Main Street and buy myself that shovel.

Rob

2 comments:

tim m said...

When I hear the phrase "Main Street", I always think of the book by Sinclair Lewis. I've lost track of how many times I've read it. It essentially ridicules the complacency of small-town life in the 1910s and paints its residents as mostly unthinking and closed-minded. Unfortunately, this is probably not what the reporters hope to express.
By the way, where did you find that fantastic photo?

Rob S. said...

I've never read that; I'll have to give it a look.

The fire department picture was on a historical website I found using google images; I think my terms were Saxer Sprinfield Business, or something like that; for some reason I can't find it again, though. arrgh.