Monday, March 29, 2010

When Voices Through the Thin Walls Speak of Abberant Behavior

Okay, RNC Chairman Michael Steele has a bit of a reputation as a clown, going wildly off-message and always saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. He's also got a rep for wasting Republican donors' money, something I am totally down with.

But this is the best money-wasting yet.

Via Washington Monthly, today I learned that the Daily Caller reports that:

Once on the ground, FEC filings suggest, Steele travels in style. A February RNC trip to California, for example, included a $9,099 stop at the Beverly Hills Hotel, $6,596 dropped at the nearby Four Seasons, and $1,620.71 spent [update: the amount is actually $1,946.25] at Voyeur West Hollywood, a bondage-themed nightclub featuring topless women dancers imitating lesbian sex.

(Emphasis mine, but honestly? Probably yours, too.)


The Chairman of the RNC has dropped two grand at a fetish club? Here? Apparently the servers for Voyeur are overloaded right now (understandably; click the link in a day or two), but here's a description for ya.

Kathy and I just watched David Lynch's Blue Velvet last night, which explores the kinky, sadomasochistic  underbelly of small-town America. Maybe it's the 20-some years of life I've lived since first seeing it, but as much as I enjoyed the film, I've got to echo part of Roger Ebert's assessment: "What are we being told? That beneath the surface of Small Town, U.S.A., passions run dark and dangerous? Don't stop the presses."

Still, even though I know this stuff in my gut, the GOP connection still has the capacity to surprise. Not because Steele would go to the Voyeur club (obviously taking others, probably party donors), but that he'd be foolish (and, I suppose, law-abiding) enough to keep records of it for the Federal Election Commission. 

So here's to you, Michael Steele. I raise a glass of Pabst Blue Ribbon in your honor.

[Update: the RNC claims it wasn't Michael Steele at the club, but a "non-committee staffer," whatever that is. Even if that's true: Way to run a tight ship, man. And I still think this is the Best Thing Ever.] 

Rob

No comments: