Sunday, January 13, 2008

Honestly, I Just Got Tired of Looking At Mitt Romney's Smarmy Mug

There have been some comments over at the feminist comic blogs I read about this upcoming Playboy cover,


but not nearly the firestorm I expected to see when it was first brought to my attention. The objections seem to be more nuanced than to many similar things -- in some cases, the issue isn't about comparing the model to Wonder Woman as much as it it comparing her to Lynda Carter (as some interior copy does). The way I figure it, the image is appropriate for the venue, and I've got no real problem with it on those grounds.

But DC and Time Warner? They should have a problem with it. Playboy is making money off of their trademark, almost certainly without authorization. Yes, it could be considered a parody, and likely will be permitted under the First Amendment. But DC is obligated to protect its trademarks, and it really should act in this case. (There's a nice long discussion about this in the Beat's comment section.)

Anyway, Romney's gone, so mission accomplished.

UPDATE: As always, Val brings up some interesting points.

Rob

1 comment:

Ami Angelwings said...

I dun have a problem rly to the comparison since I dun consider Lynda Carter anything other than an actress (to be fair, I didn't grow up on her). I dun even have a problem with the fetishization since it's not a mainstream comic book, and they fetishize everything else in these mags and as I've noted the superheroine fetish is pretty popular (and I have no problem with it xD Esp since enjoy some pretty interesting fetishes myself xD). >_>

For me, the only thing that stands out about the picture is that they felt the need to not paint her boots on but instead give her real boots just so she can have stiletto heels >_>