Wednesday, January 02, 2008

It's a New Year

And now that it's actually a new day in a new year, I realize I should say something about it.

2007 ended as it began: with me drunk on a couch. So that's a plus.

But there's no reason to dwell on 2007 when 2008 is spread out in front of us. Personally, I have a month of extreme business, followed by a weeklong work trip that combines pleasure and pain in such high doses that it's like I'm the cruise director on the S.S. Marquis de Sade. Or possibly Isaac the Bartender.

After this next bumpy month, I see smooth sailing ahead. I'm sure there'll be some changes -- there always are -- but I hope to navigate them with humor and optimism. I had a fairly rough month in the tail end of 2007, but have spent a week at home, and have enjoyed an almost complete recovery.

My hopes for 2008?

Getting some comic stories published.

Finishing up the guest room and moving on to the dining room. And finishing that.

Writing more.

Reading more.

Dropping another 30 pounds.

Electing a president I can be proud of.

Spending more time with my wife, and spending it better.

Learning to cook new things.

Meeting more strangers.

And, of course, health, happiness, and fun surprises.

Here's hopin'.

Rob

6 comments:

Jeff said...

I hope you do get those comic stories published. I'd love to read some of your work! In fact, I'd say all of your goals are very worthy.

Here's to a better 2008!

Ami Angelwings said...

I hope you have a great 2008 :D

Are you ever gonna finish answering my questions? xD

Rob S. said...

Sure am, Ami. Problem is, I'm taking the questions too seriously, when this is really just a light, fun exercise. I think I'll have to sit down and bang the rest all out at once so I don't get crazy-involved with any particular one.

And you have a happy new year too!

Travis said...

Happy New Year, Rob. 3 of your things I hope to do this year as well:
Read more
Write more
Lose some weight.

christianready said...

Hmm... I haven't thought of goals for 2008...start a blog?

Anyway, have a great and Happy New Year, my friend!

Greg! said...

Hmmm. I'll sign on for:

Read more. (Specifically, read more of the things that I've had and have been meaning to read for far too long.)

Write more. For that matter, write at all.

Drop some pounds. The fantasy ideal would be a pound each week for the year.

Meet more new things.

Learn to cook strangers.

Something like that...