Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Some Have Greatness Thrust Upon Them

So McCain is now backpedaling on his (already weak) repudiation of John Hagee's comments about the Catholic Church (if you don't know, this guy who endorsed McCain called it "the Great Whore" and a "false cult." Let me get this straight: Obama never accepted Farrakhan, but is put on the spot for what he says anyway. Yet McCain gets to ride Hagee's endorsement into the Republican nomination.)

Anyway, I digress. That's all old news. What caught my eye is this TPM story about how McCain thinks Hagee's words were taken out of context. I guess he isn't certain that "the Great Whore" is a slam on the Catholic Church.

Really, Mr. Straight Talk? Is that your final answer -- that "the Great Whore" isn't an insult? I guess if it were Elliot Spitzer, you'd have a leg to stand on -- "Julia and Skyler are nice, but that Maya is one great whore!" -- but barring that, how on earth could that be taken out of context?

You're one great whore, Senator McCain. No disrespect intended.

Rob

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish McCain had been more emphatic in his repudiation of Hagee's remarks, but that's politics for you. It doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.

As for me, Hagee's endorsement means nothing. I'm not a fan of him or his particular brand of Christianity.

Rob S. said...

Granted -- but McCain built his image on exactly the opposite of politics as usual -- Straight Talk. Not that this sort of cozying up to unsavory folks is anything new for him, but somehow I'm always disappointed when he does it.

But really, this post was mostly me taking the looooong way around to make an Elliot Spitzer joke.