Saturday, May 07, 2005

It's Free Comic Book Day!

Yeah, you heard me right. If you go into your local comic shop today (Saturday), chances are they'll have free comics for you.

This has been going on for several years now. It's usually tied in with one of the major comics book movie releases, but this year (as far as I know) it's not. I guess they're testing the waters to see if it can stand on its own. The one other constant of FCBD is that I will be out of town. I've never been to a Free Comic Book Day yet.

But that's okay. It's not for me; I'm already hooked. But this is a great event for kids and adults interested in getting some free reading.

Here's a list of all the free comics available. The Gold Sponsors (including the Simpsons, Donald Duck, Fantastic Four and Batman) will be in every stores; Silver Sponsored books (I've heard good things about Amelia Rules and Owly) are available in many of them. And here's a link to a bunch of preview pages of the free comics. Other publishers sponsor on the Bronze level, giving away previously published comics. There should really be something for everyone. And here's where you can find a participating store (one of 1900 nationwide) near you.

Rob

1 comment:

Dave said...

Hopefully there will be some free Jhonen Vasquez comic being handed out.
(Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, Squee, I Feel Sick, and TV's Invader Zim)

I didn't get to any comic shops on Saturday, but I bought 3 Itchy & Scratchy comics (#1, 2 & 3) for $2 at a yard sale. Saw Star Wars #1 for $25 at one table, and $5 in the box where I got my books.