Friday, October 12, 2007

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

I mentioned that Captain America was now carrying a gun to Erich*, the copy editor at work, and showed him this picture. His reaction?


“Could he be any gayer? That’s a little Tom of Finland, don’t you think?”

I did what you would do in that situation: burst out laughing. Regaining my composure, I said the justification for the new costume was that it was a new Cap, since the first one had died.

“How did he die? Did his heart break after 9/11?”

No, I explained. His girlfriend shot him.

Now it was Erich’s turn to crack up. “You’re kidding me, right? ...You’re serious?”

I assured him I was. His girlfriend, S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Sharon Carter, had shot him at point-blank range. She’d been hypnotized when she did it, but she was the one who pulled the trigger.

“I think superheroes ought to use a little more discretion in their personal lives," he said.

Can’t argue with that.

Rob

*He says this is his first appearance in a blog. (He's wrong.) Collect 'em all!

(Edited to add a link.)

1 comment:

Greg! said...

Okay, two references to Tom of Finland in your blog -- hell, if your life -- in one day. Talk about unlikely.

I mean, ToF isn't exactly a mainstream reference. Maybe not the most obcsure thing (certainly not the most obscure thing to show up in this blog), but still...

Who is Erich with the extra letter in his name, anyway? Ought we be introduced?