Sunday, October 07, 2007

It's a Secret, But No Secret...

So, after that rough amateur footage of the Avetts (and their loose performing style), I thought I'd post something much tighter and professionally produced -- but of a song I love every bit as much. So here's a variety-show clip of Richard Thompson singing "Cooksferry Queen," about an improbably romance between a thug at the top of the Brit-thug food chain, and the hippie street chick he's ready to change his life for.

Now my name it is Mulvaney
And I'm known quite famously
People speak my name in whispers
What higher praise can there be?




She could get the lame to walking
She could get the blind to see
She could make wine out of Thames river water
She could make a believer out of me


I'm planning to write a bit about another Richard Thompson song I've just discovered (even though I've had it on disc for more than a decade), so I won't go on and on about this, except to say it's one of my favorites, and if I ever had a chance to attend a costume party for characters from music, I'd want Kathy & I to go as Mulvaney and the Queen. I love this song; there seems to be even more story here than Thompson's letting on.

Rob

No comments: