Sunday, December 23, 2007

Hallelujah, Everybody Say Cheese

Another favorite Christmas song: "Merry Christmas From the Family," by Robert Earl Keene.

Feliz Navidad!



UPDATE: I should probably mention that I enjoy the Jill Sobule version of this song better. I think it's the quality of her voice: She sounds more innocent, while Keene sings with a smirk. He seems to stand apart from his family (and maybe that's an impression I'm drawing as much from the video as the song itself), while Sobule just shrugs her shoulders and joins in.

That said, when I sing the song, I hear Graham Parker in my head. I don't think he's ever covered it, but I'm sure he'd do a stellar job, and wouldn't go easy on the bitters. "We need some celery and a can of fake snow," is a line practically custom-made for him.

Rob

No comments: