Thursday, December 27, 2007

Uh-oh.

Benazir Bhutto has been reported killed in a suicide attack in Pakistan this morning (evening there). Considering she represented the main opposition to Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf's leadership, and there'd been a general election scheduled for two weeks from now, things have been completely upended. I'm worried that we're about to see what happens when a country armed with nuclear weapons plunges into chaos.

I don't know what the right moves to make on the foreign policy front are here, but I can only hope President Bush makes them, and manages to ease the tensions there rather than inflaming them. He tends to operate with a sledgehammer. Let's hope this is one of those times when a sledgehammer is the right tool for the job -- or better yet, he looks a little deeper into his toolbox and finds just the right gauge wrench.

Rob

1 comment:

Ami Angelwings said...

I knew this was eventually going to happen and it rly upsets me :(