Friday, December 21, 2007

Oh, I've Got a Brand-New Engine Coolant Cap

...You've got a brand-new key.

Judging from the driving I've done in these past few days, including circling the Woodbridge Mall parking lot for 15-20 minutes, it seems like my car is finally fixed. No boiling coolant, no leaky fluid, no overheating engine.

And what did the trick? Not the new radiator (though that was damaged in the initial occurence and had to be replaced), nor the new tubing. Instead, what I needed was a new cap on the coolant reservoir to better keep things pressurized. The higher the air pressure, the higher the boiling point. Simple physics, as anyone who's ever hard-boiled an egg in Denver could tell you.

But believe me when i say, my Christmas is looking a thousand times merrier than it had been, thanks to a five-dollar piece of equipment.

Rob

4 comments:

ktbuffy said...

Wait, what? It's harder to boil an egg in Denver? Why didn't anyone TELL me this? Oh, man!!

Rob S. said...

True dat, Kate. Expect to spend four minutes on your three-minute eggs.

That said, I'm sure you already know the upsides of living there.

Greg! said...

I do love it when the problem causing such major effects turns out to be a cheap and seemingly insignificant part.

Less so when that discovery comes after expensive exploratory repairs, though.

Travis said...

Great news, Rob. Glad you got it back in shape/