Thursday, April 10, 2008

Comics for April 9

What the hell -- here’s a rundown of my comic purchases for this week.

Castle Waiting: I love this comic, and the monthly installments are almost certainly not the best way to read it. But it’s so darn pleasant, it’s hard to argue with. I’d hate to wait years before dipping into this world again. It’s real good-feelin’ stuff, done at the very highest level.

Criminal: The exact opposite of Castle Waiting in everything but quality. Hellish noir, real enough to give nightmares. Plus there are always great movie and book recommendations in the back -- essays from Brubaker’s crime-lovin’ writer friends. One of my favorite books on the stands right now.

Justice Society of America: Boy, this book is good and crowded. I imagine that will be coming to a head real soon -- and just the same, there aren’t too many character’s I’d want to drop. And have I mentioned I love the new Amazing Man? Yes I have. Anyway, this issue is the beginning of a massive throwdown between the Society and Gog.

Wonder Woman: Every bit as cool as last issue. A kickass fight with a Green Lantern, and ideas of revenge and justice play out on several levels. Couldn’t ask for more.

Young Liars: To be honest, I need to read this again after refreshing my memory about the first issue. But it’s gripping all the way through, even though I’m not certain I caught all the resonance for the long-term story.

Booster Gold: Let me get this straight. Wild Dog throws a loaded automatic weapon to Booster, without even warning him, and when it lands on the ground and discharges, he complains that Booster doesn’t know how to handle a gun? That Wild Dog really is crazy, isn’t he? Solid alternate-reality fun.

Jonah Hex: I’ve never seen the words “The End” seem so loud before. It was like the end title on an episode of Lost. Nice work this time. Jordi Bernet can draw the hell out of anything.

So that's what I got. Didn't think there was a bad one in the bunch, so it was a helluva good week in that respect.

Rob

2 comments:

Travis said...

My LCS didn't have any more copies of Criminal, but he is supposed to get me one (and himself one as well).

I've decided to wait and go the TPB route with Young Liars. I am slowly going that way with more of my comic book reading.

Castle Waiting: I read this for several years, and while I liked it, I never loved it, and haven't picked it up in a looong time.

Rob S. said...

Hopefully he will; Criminal is one of the few books that waiting for the trade doesn't seem like a good option for me. I *love* the backmatter in that book.

Young Liars will make a fine trade, I'm sure.

And yeah, Castle Waiting isn't for everyone. Very little happens in this issue; it's prep for next issue. And the main event then will be a bowling game. So it's hardly high adventure -- but it's so well-drawn and charming it just sucks me right in.