Wednesday, April 09, 2008

My Soup Moved.

At lunch, my soup moved.

I was at my Thai restaurant, reading the new issue of Justice Society and eating my soup before my red curry chicken came out. I was not touching the bowl -- the spoon was to my mouth -- when I thought I saw my soup move in the corner of my eye. Just half or three-quarters of an inch toward my comic.

I examined the soup. Nothing unusual was in it, just some chunks of chicken and a mushroom. The table didn't wobble. As I said, I wasn't touching the bowl. Must have been a trick of the light, I thought.

I went back to reading my comic, and again was bringing some soup to my lips. And the bowl moved again -- again a half-inch to the left, closer to my comic.

I lifted the bowl. Looked it over. Checked out the table again. Checked under the table for magnets or some other device. Thought about how I was sitting, and reckoned it was very unlikely that my right arm had disturbed my soup in any way.

So I put my soup back down, and continued to read, stopping every now and then to eye the bowl with suspicion. But soon the soup was gone, without having moved again.

I don't know what this means. It probably means I am either mistaken about the soup moving, or about my not having caused it to move.

But I have another guess, too.

Rob

8 comments:

Jeff said...

Very interesting. I suspect a Thai poltergeist. How was JSA?

Rob S. said...

JSA was terrific. The story is reaching a crescendo -- probably not the only one in the story, but the biggest so far. By the time I finished it, I thought, "Oh, it is ON."

As for my theory, I won't mention what it is, but I was happily wrong. (Nothing disparaging about the restaurant, by the way.) Looks like I just went a little crazy for a minute or two. Or the rules of gravity and inertia stopped working for a moment. I think Starman was on the pages I was reading, so maybe he had something to do with it.

Ami Angelwings said...

Has your stomach moved yet? o_O

Don said...

There was a little liquid around the bottom of the bowl where it touches the table. The air trapped under the bowl in the indentation was heated by the soup and expanded, lifting the bowl so it was sitting on a film of water. In this nearly frictionless state, it would slide on the table if there was even a slight incline.

Rob S. said...

You rock, science man.

J.Ball said...

...Or, it was invisible lesbian space monkeys.


I bet it was monkeys. Or maybe just Davey Jones from the Monkees.

Either way... Monkeys.

Rob S. said...

You sure it wasn't Peter Torque?

Don said...

Well, when I provided that tedious "scientific" explanation, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't monkeys. Monkeys set the whole thing up, of course, for a laugh. Or a howl, if they were Howler Monkeys.