Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Balls-out

I've been listeing to Penn Jillette's show on FreeFM a lot lately, and one of the recurring topics has been a juggling routine by Chris Bliss. For his finale, Bliss juggles three balls for the entirety of The Beatles' "The End" off of Abbey Road. To non-jugglers, it looks pretty impressive, and sometimes seems like it's timed with the music.

Penn felt differently, and asked his friend, hard-core professional juggler Jason Garfield, to replicate Bliss's routine with five balls. And man, is it better. Not only is Garfield keeping more balls in the air, but he looks like he has more control over his five than Bliss has over his three.

You can see both videos at YouTube. I recommend watching Bliss's routine first, because I can't imagine it'll be much fun after you see him get completely schooled by Garfield (in Bliss Diss). (I also recommend seeing them soon -- these are getting more attention, and I doubt either of them has the rights to the music, so they could be pulled at any time. You can also read Garfield's comments on the Bliss routine here.

I love that I can listen to people talk about juggling on the radio.

Rob

1 comment:

Jeri said...

WOW! That was a thing of beauty.

I taught myself to juggle several years ago (just the basic not-dropping-three-balls routine), and doing it to music is the best. My two favorite juggling songs were "Got My Own Thing Now" by Squirrel Nut Zippers and Paul Simon's "The Obvious Child." Both Hot and Rhythm of the Saints are great juggling albums overall. Lots of rhythmic variations.