Saturday, March 18, 2006

Call for Tunes

So...

I'm writing a novel. I've decided to set the juvie nonfiction aside for a bit and dig my heels in and see what I can create out of my own sorry head.

Idiot that I am, I'm not making it easy on myself. Part of the novel is set in the 20s, an ear I thought I knew somehting about until I tried to set a scene there and was continually flummoxed by little details that could mean a great deal to the plot. So now I've got a book to read about everyday life in the era, to give me some sort of grounding there.

The other thing I need is jazz. These 1920s pages need to fizz like illegal champagne, and I'd like a soundtrack to write by. Do any of you have or know of any good collections of music from the 1920s? Soundtracks of movies set in the '20s? If you do, let me know. It's a whole different world I'm looking back on, and I want to know what it sounds like.

Rob

1 comment:

Jeri said...

The Cotton Club is the only thing that comes to mind. I think The Sting was the thirties. What about Swingers?

A really good way to get the feel for an era is to find old issues of magazines. A good library would have them. Are there any good libraries in that city you work in?

Good luck!