Tuesday, March 21, 2006

V for Video

First of all, V for Vendetta was terrific. See it see it see it.

It's good enough that I don't want to spoil things for anyone. Instead, I want to propose (or predict) a project.

Probably this won't be possible until the DVD comes out, but the availablity of footage always surprises me, so who knows?

One of my favorite sequences in the Moore/Lloyd comic was a chapter called "The Vicious Cabaret." The narration is the lyrics to a song of the same name, the notes of which are provided. The sequence checks in on the plot's many characters as the song descibes their predicaments and reinforces the overall theme. It's awesome -- not just for its storytelling effect, but also as an example of the new approaches Moore was bringing to the comics medium.

Unfortunately, comics are a silent menium. But film's another matter entirely. I'd love to see a fan film that reedits footage from the movie and sets it to the "Vicious Cabaret" music. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't already planned for the DVD. But if it's not there, that doesn't mean it can't be done. With today's editing software, arranging, playing and recording the music is really the hard part. And, I have to stress, it would be wicked cool.

Rob

6 comments:

bastard central said...

lobster,

if you keep using phrases like wicked cool, i just might have to jump over the cube wall and take you out. old school

Rob S. said...

Oh, and "old school" is that much better?

bastard central said...

miles better

Rob S. said...

you'd have to be wicked handless-mutant retarded to think that.

Dave said...

there are many fan edits of the various Star Wars movies floating around. i may or may not have some of these. i also may or may not have a fan edit of Willard with Crispin Glover.

surely someone can do it.

Greg! said...

Yeah, I really liked "V" on the big screen. I think the ads somewhat misrepresented it, trying too hard to play up the "Matrix" connection(s).
The movie fares pretty well, although I wish they'd limited themselves to one use of the shot, lifted almost directly from David Lloyd's panel art, of V emerging from the burning building; it really grated on my after the second time I saw it (and it was there more than twice...).
And I admit I had been secretly hoping "Vicious Cabaret" would show up in the film. I've never known the tune, since I can't read those musical note thingys.